Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Go Sanctuary



When one starts to really study go, it is natural to want a very nice set. In my opinion, go is so much about aesthetic and 'feel' that playing on a nice set gives one greater pleasure and even increased concentration. After getting my board back from Japan, I decided to dedicate an area of my home to my go studies.

The board had made it from Japan, but I was missing cushions, a mat, and a nice set of stones for this new board. Finding a mat was simple enough and I bought a rice mat on sale through an online retailer. The stones and the pillows, however, were pricey. Nice stones run hundreds of dollars and zabutons (floor cushions -- lit. sitting futons) are often $50 - $100. It seemed as though my ideal area would have to wait for an influx of cash.

But with a stroke of luck both problems would be solved with in a week. I attended a tournament in Columbus, OH and there was a vendor there who had some beautiful stones for sale that were size 40 (11.8 mm thick). This thickness of stones is the largest size often used in the nicest floor board sets only. He offered me the stones in exchange for lessons! I am so grateful for this.

Lastly, I had been trying to figure out what to do with my large couch 'euro sham' pillows whose cases worn and one coffee stained. Two new black pillow cases made them look great and they are ideal size and firmness for zabutons.

Here are a few pictures of my completed go sanctuary with my beloved Arthur cat.






No comments:

Post a Comment